13 prototypes, new technology and extensive testing by two of Germany's best cross-country pilots – these are just a few of the stages undertaken by Swing in developing the Astral 7. The original idea was for this to be a further step in paraglider development, but it has turned out to be a major leap forwards.
Visually, the Astral 7 is still based on the glider it is replacing, the Astral 6. The high arc concept saw that glider rapidly become the state of the art in the EN-C category. Moving beyond the similarity in appearance, the Astral 7 features a number of fundamental innovations and enhancements, which set trend-setting new highlights in paraglider development at Swing.
Less is more
As a flawless 3-liner with optimised hybrid line system, the Astral 7 can offer reduced line drag and improved performance especially in accelerated flight. The saving in line materials is a full 18.5% - that's 60 metres for the size 24 compared to the glider it replaces. Glide performance could be improved by a good 0.5 points by the reduction in residual resistance in combination with the new profile and use of 3D-shaping to optimise tension. An ideal combination of canopy curvature and pilot position ensures greater canopy stability, higher projected aspect ratio and an optimum compromise between damping and handling.
The most important differences from the Astral 6
- 3 line levels › line reduction of 18.5% means less resistance
- New profile, optimised for glide when partially accelerated › very stable at its pressure point and very pitch stable, giving very high canopy stability across the entire speed range
- Less canopy curvature › better roll damping and more peaceful flying
- Interchangeable Plastic Wires (FT) › noticeable improvement in profile accuracy with less weight
- 3D-Shaping › leading edge is airflow-optimised
- Mini-Ribs › streamlined form at the trailing edge
- Optimised speed system › acceleration requires less effort and is more efficient.
There is one respect, however, in which there is no difference at all between the Astral 7 and its predecessor – the feeling of delight which experienced cross-country pilots will feel the first time they fly this glider. Didi Siglbauer turned even a maiden flight on the first prototype into an impressive FAI triangle of 205km, and he flew a further 235 km triangle soon afterwards. So any pilot who would like to be completely satisfied with a paraglider would be well-advised to test-fly the Astral 7 straight away.
our best Astral yet!
Recipe for XC all-rounder Ingredients: Two type-test Astral FT gliders. Two XC-test pilots. 50 cross-country flights. 200 hours airtime. 3,600 km XC. 1st and 3rd placings in the sport class. Mix together all the impressions and experience gained, keep designer and test pilots on their toes with new ideas and improvements and allow everything to mature slowly. The new Astral 7 is ready. This was probably the world's most intensive and elaborate long-term testing in order to get a glider ready for series production. I am proud to have contributed a small part to the development of the new Astral 7.
"SWING provided me with an ASTRAL FT (one of the first protos) for long-term testing. I am extremely pleased that I was straight away able to achieve new personal bests and win the German cross-country champs flying this glider. With a further 6 prototypes, SWING has been able to answer all of my wishes and areas of concern, or improve on them, and so I can hardly wait to go cross-country flying again in 2012 with "my" ASTRAL 7." (Didi Siglbauer flew the Astral FT when he won the sport class and the German cross-country title for 2011).
|70 - 87||80 - 102||90 - 110||100 - 125|
Wing area (m²)
Wing area projected (m²)
Wing span (m)
Projected wing span (m)
Projected aspect ratio
Glider weight (kg)
Min. sink rate (m/s)
Trim speed (km/h)
Max speed (km/h)
List price incl. 19% german VAT (EUR)
Scope of delivery
- Swing ASTRAL 7
- Sherpa Backpack
- Protection Bag Plus
- Compression Strap
- Riser Bag
SWING Multi Grip Demonstration
In general there are two ways to individualise the paraglider,
- firstly by a special design (see below) and,
- secondly, by adding an advertising message to it.
Here are some facts and information which you may find helpful in finding sponsors or applying for sponsorship.
The delivery time for special colors can vary strongly due to capacity utilization of our production. Please contact your dealer to inquire the respective delivery time.
Der Astral 7 ist super! Hermann ist vom Gleiten meines Microastrals echt beeindruckt. - Andrea Ranninger
Ich bin schon lange nicht mehr so safe mit einem Flügel unterwegs gewesen, wie mit dem A7.- Didi Siglbauer
Das beste Argument für den Astral 7 ist der Schirm selbst! - Josef Gruber
Ich bin echt super glücklich mit dem Schirm und fühle mich sehr wohl damit. - Angela Dachs
Die Steigleistung ist sehr gut und ich konnte mit allen Schirmen locker mithalten. Gleiten ist wohl fast so gut wie beim Stratus. - Alfredo Studer
The Astral 7 is one of the best gliders manufactured by Swing, built with noticeable quality and every imaginable technological detail. - Daniel Crespo (Ojovolador.com)
A great glider! Everyone is delighted by this sail, a success! - Jean-Marcel Gau (Swing Air Import, FR)
Astral 7 Competition Results (selection)
1. Polish & Ukrainian Open 2012 (Sport) – Krzysztof Ziolkowski
2. Polish & Ukrainian Open 2012 (Sport) – Walter Wojciechowski
1. XC Copa Tocaima 2012 – Daniel Montejo
1. Open Tres Provincias 2012 (General und Sport) – Andreas Mezger
3. Open Tres Provincias 2012 (Sport) – Gustavo Adolfo Casasola
3. Cric Championship Central Italy (General) - Garolla Andrea
1. Cric Championship Central Italy (Sport) - Garolla Andrea
1. Cilp Championship regional Lombardo Piemonte - Marinuzzo Franco
2. DHV XC 2012 (Sport) – Dietmar Siglbauer
2. DHV XC 2012 (Damen) – Monika Mack
3. DHV XC 2012 (Damen) – Angela Dachs
2. XContest 2012 (Sport) – Michael Müller